Saturday 20 December 2014

I'm lucky to have an open-minded GP.

My research of late has made me want to try oral Ivermectin (Stomectol) as a way of eradicating the demodex mites, or at least to rule it out.  Ivermectin is usually prescribed as a one-off treatment to cure scabies however demodex mites have a difficult life cycle to crack with eggs hatching within three days of being laid.  My thoughts are that more than one dose of it will be required.  

I made the appointment with my GP solely to discuss this issue.  It was interesting to note that she hadn't heard of demodex mites until now but was open-minded regarding what I was hoping to achieve and asked me how many courses did I think I would need to break the cycle.  I was unsure and hesitant to name a figure but she asked me if I thought 4 doses would be enough?  At this point in time, I'll take whatever I can get!  Since this is entirely experimental, I have no idea how often I should take doses for maximum effect.  I'm suspecting I should do it weekly and if I am getting good results, ask for another prescription.

I took my first dose yesterday but the pharmacist got the dosage wrong and only gave me 4 tables instead of the 5 tablets my GP worked out based on my body weight.  Eager to start, I took the dose during a meal and waited for any side effects but didn't experience anything - no nausea, no dizzyness etc.  I'll make sure I get the proper dosage next time.  It's not going to be a cheap exercise at $28 for 4 tablets.

I slept incredibly well last night and quite possibly it was the best sleep I've had in a long time.  It makes me wonder if my sleep disturbances are due to the nocturnal wanderings of the mite.  Perhaps I am having some success in diminishing their numbers?

Looking at the images, on my right cheek there is a large welt as a result of a deep and very painful infection.  It took 4 days to surface and looking at it, I think it will take several more to heal.  I'm not feeling defeated because this is the first pustular sore I have had since I started my routine in early December.  There have been other tiny infections which are closer to the surface resembling a whitehead but they heal quickly.  I'm assuming that over the next few days, if the Ivermectin is a success, I will end up with quite a lumpy sore face as a result of mass die-off - the infection will be due to the bacterium the mites leave in each pore as they decompose.

My left cheek, aside from having three tiny surface infections, is looking very good.  It gives me hope that by persisting with my TTO routine and in addition to regular washings alternating pyrethrin, permethin and benzyl benzoate should being results.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to chat? Share your progress or ask a question here but spam will not be tolerated.