Tuesday 11 August 2015

Still battling the demodex mites but winning!

Since my last post, I saw my dermatologist and was recommended to try IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) to reduce the redness in my cheeks, nose and chin where the veins are damaged.  

I had my first session 4 weeks ago at the dermatologist and am due for my second session tomorrow. 

The head dermatologist came to inspect my face before the session and she said that I had done a great job of reducing the mites but they were still evident around my nose creases and on my chin. I realised that I hadn't been focussing on those areas since it was the pimples and pustules on my cheeks which had been causing me the most concern.  Since then I have paid particular attention to the chin and nose creases and there has been a nice improvement. 

During the session, the zapping was uncomfortable particularly around the base of the nose and nostril flaps.  I figured that if I don't make a fuss it will be over faster so I gritted my teeth and tried to focus on my breathing.

The following four days were spent being very gentle on my skin and using a thin application of Advantan cream (daily) and regular applications of Aloe Vera gel to soothe the burning feeling.  I found some Solosite gel in the cupboard and it was nice but if it was touched after application it was a bit messy to deal with.  

After my skin felt calm again, I continued with my current demodex mite eradication.

Currently I am using Quellada lotion once a day.  The best time to apply it is in the evening just as the mites are starting to emerge.   



You may recall, I was using Lyclear with great results but after a couple of months I noticed discomfort most likely from the preservative (formaldehyde).  My dermatologist said to use whichever feels the best.  Most people wouldn't react to the amount of formaldehyde so it's a matter of trying it.  The Lyclear is certainly easier to apply.  The Quellada is wetter and therefore takes a bit longer to work into the skin.

Here are the latest images of my cheeks.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, I came across your blog while I was researching treatments available in Australia for my p&p rosacea. I have really enjoyed reading your posts, how are things going now after a few IPL treatments? I also saw a dermatologist who suggested Accutane but I'm leaving that as very, very last resort, I'm currently on 100mg doxycycline per day and started spironolactone a couple of days ago (I react badly to salicylic acid, AHA's, retinoids and benzoyl peroxide so treating my rosacea has been a nightmare) I've always had spots and pimples (i'm 36 years old) but January 2015 I developed a severe facial rash and was diagnosed with rosacea. I think I might go down the IPL road and look into the dermodex mite treatment also. I find Finacea helps a little but not much, it burns and itches and my bumps / spots / pustules take a lot longer to heal or subside while using the Finacea. I also suffer from cystic / nodulistic acne on my chin (occasionally on cheeks) that I think are linked to hormonal cycle so treatment has been very challenging and expensive so far this year.
    Thank you for sharing your story and progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your comment. I've just done an update. :-)
      Having been super sensitive to anything being put on my skin, I can completely relate to what you are experiencing. It's a different story now thanks to my open-minded GP and my dermatologist. I'm thankful for the timing as well because Galderma getting SooLantra released through the FDA brought forth fresh information and the success of the 2 year SooLantra trial has changed the way that Dermatologists are looking at rosacea.
      The original treatments of Accutane and Finacea last as long as while you are using the medication. ...and yes, that itching burning is awful. I wanted to claw my skin off.
      You mention that it could be linked to your hormonal cycle. Could that be when your sebum production increases which in turn makes for a harmonious environment for demodex? Demodex thrive on the richer type of sebum produced by people older than teenagers.
      IPL repairs the damaged capillaries but it doesn't do anything to eradicate demodex. Best to get the initial cause under control first or IPL will be a waste of money and unnecessary pain.
      Please keep in touch.
      Cheers
      Kate

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Want to chat? Share your progress or ask a question here but spam will not be tolerated.